Homework Assignment One
Due Date: 9/24/21 by 11:59 pm
The purpose of the project is to show us how pervasive social norms are in our lives and how unconsciously and willingly we obey them. To complete this assignment, please violate a social norm and write a report of your experience. The objective of the research is to determine the extent to which norms influence behavior. Thus, you will want to play particular attention to the research of both yourself and others who are part of the situation. Please follow the guidelines below:
Break the norm in a social setting, observe the reactions of others and yourself, and record as quickly as possible those reactions.
Break any laws or cause anyone else to break the law.
Cause any harm to yourself or anyone else.
Do anything that is legally or morally questionable, or that could bring negative sanctions against you.
Ten points of the total assignment are designated to your ability to use theories of socialization to explain behavior, learning, and patterns in human behavior. Please use relevant theories and terms from your readings in writing the assignment.
Respond to these first two questions prior to violating the norm.
The assignment should be written in essay form. Please use a word processor and double spacing. The complete assignment should be between 500 and 1,000 words.
(1) Before you break the norm, describe the norm you will break. Briefly explain how this norm acts as a mechanism of social control. Describe what you will do to violate the norm.
(2) Describe the range of possible reactions others will have to the violation of this norm and your prediction of the major reaction.
(3) Describe the setting:
Physical – where is the norm violation-taking place?
Social – how many and what types of persons are observing?
(4) Describe what happened when you violated the norm.
(5) Did you experience sanctions once you broke the norm? Were the sanctions subtle or explicit punishments? Describe the sanctions (if any). Explain why you experienced or did not experience any sanctions.
(6) Describe your feelings when you violated the norm. Why do you imagine you felt the way you did? Did people react the way you expected? Explain.
(7) How does conforming to and violating social norms, generally, fit into the lifelong process of socialization?
Homework Assignment One