Summary-Response Essay #1
Choose ONE of the articles we read for class to write a summary and response essay. Remember a summary and response essay summarizes someone else’s work and then reacts or responds to it. In your response integrate examples or quotes from the article to give added impact to your ideas. Before writing the essay, review the models “The Best Teacher” and “My Mother’s Intuition”, paying special attention to the response.
“Why Teenagers Act Crazy” by Richard Friedman
“College Isn’t the Only Way to Succeed” by Jael Calloway
“How Smartphones Hijack Our Minds” by Nicholas Carr
Review the guidelines we went over in class. The following should help you along:
• Before you begin, please review the models I gave you.
• Audience: Write for someone outside this class and someone who has not read the article.
• Begin with an introduction.
• Introduction should start broadly and move to specific.
• Introduction should contain the following items: name of author and title of article you choose, and your thesis. (Thesis is your take on the author’s main idea.)
• Summarize the other author’s essay. This should be brief.
• Respond to essay with your own experiences, thoughts and ideas.
• Integrate ideas from article into your response.
• You should use clear, concise language.
• Use MLA documentation to cite quotes, summaries and paraphrases.
• Include a Works Cited list, which contains the article you chose.
• Essay should be three-four pages—please don’t make it longer.
• Follow MLA guidelines for formatting a paper. Essay must be typed, double-spaced and use a font 12 pt or smaller.
• To ensure the best grade possible, use the Writer’s Checklist below to make sure you have done the assignment properly. Also, review the rubric online.
I know you are going to write interesting responses. And I can’t wait to read them!
Writer’s Assessment Checklist
______Essay has an introduction
______Introduction starts broadly
______Introduction includes the author’s name and title of the article
______Introduction includes a thesis
_____Body includes a brief summary
_____Body includes a Response (this is bulk of essay)
_____Response integrates specific examples or quotes from the article to illustrate writer’s ideas
_____Conclusion starts specifically and ends on a general note
_____Conclusion restates without repeating
_____Conclusion leaves reader satisfied and does not end abruptly
_____Paper uses in-text citations for anything that is a direct quote, summary or paraphrase
_____Direct quotes have a signal phrase to introduce them, and paper has no dropped quotes
_____Writer includes a works cited list
_____Writer used Standard American English throughout the paper
_____Writer begins to show use of a variety of punctuation marks