Chapter Three Assignment: In chapter three, there are three different codes of ethics presented for medical imaging professionals. Each separate discipline is specific to a different imaging area within the field of diagnostic imaging. As you read this chapter, pay particular attention to the discussion related to how each principle impacts the professional obligations of those employed in each imaging field. This chapter will attempt to show the emphasis that core values and the prima facie duties have on the development of professional codes of ethics and how codes of ethical behavior must be fashioned for a specific job responsibility, even in a similar field such as diagnostic imaging.
Answer the following questions regarding the three different professions discussed in chapter three of “Ethics and Basic Law for Medical Imaging Professionals”.
1. List each separate discipline described in chapter three and the governing body that controls/monitors each specific discipline. Do not list the statements for each profession in your answer.
Bonus: Provide a brief overview of the differences in image production for each specialty identified. In general, I am looking for the difference in procedural objectives/examination type in each specific discipline. (successful discussion = 2 points for each discipline)
- Referenced in chapter three by Helmicks are the three reasons/concepts describing what an ethical code should do for practicing medical professionals. List these statements as evidenced in your textbook.
- Refer back to the concepts of prima facie duties and core values as presented in chapters one and two. Which of these foundations are responsible for the formation of the ethical behaviors depicted in each separate code of ethics presented in chapter three? (The intent of this question is for you to see the correlation between the development of ethical theories and real life application.)
- Do professions ever modify their stated Code of Ethics? Why or why not?
- Research the currently accepted Code of Ethical Behavior for your specific profession and answer the following questions:
- What is the last date of revision for this Code of Ethics?
2. What profession is identified by this ethical code of conduct?
3. How many individual statements are incorporated into this Code of Ethics?
4. Provide an email address from which I can access this Code of Ethics.
5. What are the ramifications/punishment for violating this code of conduct?
It will be necessary to provide external references as a separate references cited page for your answers to question number five for chapter three.
Chapter Four Assignment:
1. List and define the four different types of ethical problems presented in chapter four.
2. Define the type of situations that would be classified under each type of ethical dilemma by using an example that would be different from the example used in your textbook. Again, this will allow you to apply the theories to a real-life situation. (I am looking for you to develop a situation of your own, not one taken from external research. It would be helpful to think of a situation that might arise in your professional environment.)
3. Refer to the discussion question on page 43 in your text and answer the questions.
4. List and describe the purpose of each step involved in the Dowd model for ethical problem solving. This process will be utilized in the case study discussions in this course, which you will be responsible for completing this week on Blackboard as a second assignment.
It is important to note here that even though the four types of ethical problems presented in chapter four reflect examples in the health professions that these definitions can be applied to other areas, such as retail, financing and engineering to name a few. When you answer question number two for chapter four your examples may be more relevant if you can relate it to your current or future employment/professional goals.
Comments are closed.